Monday, April 12, 2010

Remembering Friends Name

I have met many friends in ESL class. They are from different country, so I am difficult to remember their names. I could not pronounciate the word correctly. Whenever I see them, I have to say sorry to them and ask their name again. Now I have a good idea. If I know meanings of their name, I could remember that well. They could do it well, too. First, when I meet new friend, I always tell my name with meaning of my English name. My name is from st. Gemma in Italian. The meaning is jewel or gem. More over it feels kind and wise; I want to be a kind and wise woman. Most friends said that my name matched me well. For example, one of my friends name is Megan who from Greek. Her name means pearl. She has white skin and blonds’ hair like pearl. In addition, if you know origin of English name, you can understand easily. For example, Mc which is from Scottish means “son of ~”, so that Mcdonald means son of Donald. Also, Tailor in the name means their job in the past. If a student as an ESL class student can make friends who are from different country, the student will enjoy chance to learn different culture from own native country.

1 comment: